Record collecting is quite a secretive venture. It's an underground world of Discogs, matrix numbers and grading systems. Dingy shops and those people that shuffle about in them. The owners that under appreciate your finely honed taste, the friends and family that fail to understand the utter significance of the first press. And why you just can't put that copy of "The Beatles" on for a quick spin.

Never fear, no worries. This blog is here to help.

It's in a chronological format, from the first album I owned to the ever expanding present, taking the format of an essay on each album, jam packed with information that guides record collecting and that may even improve your life on a fundamental level. Even if it doesn't, included in each article is general life guidance that surely will.

You may even be entertained. If you are, be so kind as to let your friends know. They will thank you.

And I will thank you.


Thank you (applicable only to those who tell their friends).

[A note to none UK readers: being British, I can't say I have much experience of being not-British, and as so, I can't guide to a level that I'd be happy with on none UK releases. However, the general gist of the article should hopefully act as some kind of marker. Further, on none British albums, I'll consider the first press of the artists nationality as well as the UK pressing, and notable foreign releases as applicable. I hope you will still enjoy!]

P.S. Please forgive the inconsistency in capital letters in the "Artist List". Believe me, I find it properly irritating. Although I'm sure you probably guessed that.

Sunday 15 September 2013

Mid-January 2012 - The Libertines - Up The Bracket and The Libertines

I've just come back from being out.
I have been round and about.
Just when you think you have seen it all.
Your gonna walk into a wall.
Well that's what I think.
From my position above the kitchen sink.
Looking down on those below.
Even if although
I don't know
what time it is.
Or was.

Life doesn't ever work out quite as nicely as you'd like. Ideally, things would fit in place in a cohesive storyline, detailing your life from the present to know. Decisions were rational, magical moments were appreciated and everything had a slant that, viewed from the angle of the future, could be appreciated. Clearly it doesn't and it never will. Once you work out that, oddly enough everything looks nice and thought out. You just consider the jagged edges personal charm. Even if, in some cases, they are deeply irritating.

Not to trample over what could be potentially profound with vinyl records, but I do have a deeply irritating jagged edge. Having been very thoughtfully bought my (joint with The Stone Roses) favourite album of the current period for my brand new record player to kick start my life in vinyl, The Libertines Up The Bracket, I was very pleased. Until it skipped right at the end, which was very much confusing for someone new to vinyl. So rather than investigate (and inevitably clean some dust), I just took it back and waited for another one to arrive in the shop. It never did. As it turns out, that copy was a first press that would currently cost me at least £25.00 ( the copy I owned was £15.00). Deeply irritating? Now it's in formed and functional words, it would seem not. Yet it still is a little. That's just how life is. I'll always have that story to tell. Even if it is a pretty shit story.

Fortunately, I currently own a first press of the second self titled Libertines album (I replaced a repress I purchased in mid January with the first press purchased some months later. That's the only thing that links this to mid January). It sounds alright, it's in decent condition and is probably worth the "up to £20" I paid for it. I don't think the mastering is all that awesome, it sounds roughly similar to the CD, but it does have a nice printed inner. Otherwise there's the 2008 repress which is decent enough, although the printed inner is reduced to a sheet of printed laminated paper, and the vinyl sits in the white inner. From then on it depends on what you want from the album. I've also heard of a thicker pressing (or gatefold or something) limited edition pressing of this album, you may want to track down one of those if you are up for something to jazz up your collections indie section.

Up the Bracket is a little more complicated. For a start, the UK pressing does NOT feature the track "What a Waster" in either original issue or repress, but the 2002 US pressing does. Be careful people selling sealed represses - they are unlikely to contain the track. Only buy from those who know, if that is what you want. Otherwise the UK Rough Trade first press is nice, the repress follows the same format as the second album.There is also a red vinyl edition I know very little about. The track "Mockingbird" is also not featured on any 12" vinyl. The track "What a Waster" can be obtained on single (which I think may include "Mockingbird B-Side") but it is fairly pricey in decent enough condition for a single. One to look after if purchased.

And there we go. You may be able to guess. This is fresh off the press. Of my brain. Have a nice day.

"Duh duh duh duh de duh duhhhhh.... duhduhduhduh duh  duh  duh  duh *wupdupdeewoop*"

As usual, 5 points for the correct source of the quote.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak