Record collecting is quite a secretive venture. It's an underground world of Discogs, matrix numbers and grading systems. Dingy shops and those people that shuffle about in them. The owners that under appreciate your finely honed taste, the friends and family that fail to understand the utter significance of the first press. And why you just can't put that copy of "The Beatles" on for a quick spin.

Never fear, no worries. This blog is here to help.

It's in a chronological format, from the first album I owned to the ever expanding present, taking the format of an essay on each album, jam packed with information that guides record collecting and that may even improve your life on a fundamental level. Even if it doesn't, included in each article is general life guidance that surely will.

You may even be entertained. If you are, be so kind as to let your friends know. They will thank you.

And I will thank you.


Thank you (applicable only to those who tell their friends).

[A note to none UK readers: being British, I can't say I have much experience of being not-British, and as so, I can't guide to a level that I'd be happy with on none UK releases. However, the general gist of the article should hopefully act as some kind of marker. Further, on none British albums, I'll consider the first press of the artists nationality as well as the UK pressing, and notable foreign releases as applicable. I hope you will still enjoy!]

P.S. Please forgive the inconsistency in capital letters in the "Artist List". Believe me, I find it properly irritating. Although I'm sure you probably guessed that.

Friday 13 September 2013

New Year 2011 - Radiohead - The Bends

If you've ever played a 45 followed by a 33, I guarantee you have at either stage (or both) forgotten to set the speed. And as someone who played Beggars Banquet by the Rolling Stones all the way through 13.6% faster than it was designed to play, I can tell you it's kind of infuriating.

Whilst I can't link the previous rant to New Year or Radiohead, I will continue regardless. The Bends is distinctly personal album - to Thom Yorke maybe - but actually to the listener. It's therefore one that I, although have moved on from, as often happens, will always have a spot for and will often return to. It's also got brilliant acoustics going on inside, so best of both worlds if you like.
Personal comfort zone and high fidelity. What more is there?

(P.S. don't say "OK Computer").

If you are interested in whether The Bends is an all analog release (recorded, mastered and pressed to vinyl) you will probably not be pleased to know that I haven't got a clue. It certainly is has a warm, acoustic-cy vibe going on. That's all that matters really. I've assumed it was recorded to tape and that's done me well so far.

As happens with beginning a record collection, there is always a period of crossover. You have CD's, or even MP3's from a previous existence, some you may want to renew in flat black disk format, some can wait. Maybe you want to start afresh. Having begun some kind of music journey prior to my turntable, there were plenty of albums I wanted own in vinyl. The Bends represented an album I was really into around this time, and it was quite possibly the first album I ordered online. It was the first album I received in the post, and at the cost of about £13.00 I had it in my hands New Years eve.

My pressing is the 2008 Parlophone reissue which can be got hold of new for about £15.00. The first press has minor distinctions (Parlophone "£" on the record label for example), and can be obtained for about £25.00. Potentially this is not a bad investment, although I cannot verify whether the sound quality or pressing quality is any different. Records are sold in such few numbers nowadays (since the CD) that there is very little degradation in quality over continued issues, as is often claimed of Beatles albums for example. However, there is a minor distinction between the CD issue and the vinyl in terms of loudness, suggesting a different mastering technique and therefore making the vinyl a desirable acquisition. Check the DR Database for more information regarding this :http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/index.php?search_artist=radiohead&search_album=the+bends .

The other question is the latest Capitol issues. I have owned the Capitol repress of OK Computer, and I can verify that it sounds very similar to the Parlophone issue with a slightly different label and matrix gubbins. Thicker vinyl may make that issue more your thing but I wouldn't get caught up the 180 g debate. I am fully unable to discern the difference: my favorite pressings were pressed in the 1960's not on 180 g vinyl. Some say it is more sustainable in terms of wear and tear. Other people say Paul McCartney died in 1966. Who knows? However, word of mouth (and forum) often regards the Capitol issues in poorly (a Google search could verify this). Your best bet is the UK Parlophone 2008 reissue that sounds awesome and is nicely packaged - it has a proper picture inner sleeve for example (VG+ is fairly easy to obtain). Unless obviously you go for the first press, and you can't go wrong. But stick to EX or above with this one, being collectible is it's major selling point.

And there you have it. Have a nice day.

[*faaaaadddeee oouuutttt* du dud dud udh du dahhh dahhh dahh dehhh daahh deh daah dahhh ....]

[1 point for that one. It's quite easy]

P.S.S. I actually love OK Computer. It was a top five album for a period.
P.S.S.S. I know Paul McCartney wasn't killed in a car accident. He was hired by the FBI to fight intergalactic space wars in a double team with a notable US historical-political figure. New Paul McCartney is actually a daytime television personality who is Paul in his spare time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak